Anglican Bishop William Bompas constructed the first residential school in the Yukon in Carcross in 1903. At that time, Yukon First Nation people were considered wards of the state, and residential schools were established as a means to educate and assimilate First Nation children into Canadian society.
Points of Interest
The Community Learning Centre is major project for Carcross Tagish First Nation and will be a place where they can share their culture and hold community activities...Read more
There are two churches in town. St. Saviour’s Anglican Church was built in 1914 and was associated with the Choutla Residential School. St. John the Baptist Catholic Church was originally...Read more
Carcross Community Education Centre
In 1979, the Anglican Church re-opened the Chooutla Residential School as an alternative high school. Students from across Canada came to Carcross to study. Program included...Read more